Zanardi retires from WTCC

Zanardi retires from WTCC

Message par guesswho's back le Jeu Nov 26, 2009 1:26 pm

From Autosport.com

Steven English a écrit:Alex Zanardi has retired from the World Touring Car Championship.

The 43-year-old Italian has raced a ROAL-run BMW since 2005 and taken four race wins. While he will not race in the WTCC again, he has not ruled out competing in a different series.

"I will not be back in the WTCC," Zanardi told AUTOSPORT. "It's a shame, but when one door closes a bigger one may open. It can be cool to move when there are new challenges, but there aren't any yet."

Zanardi won two CART titles in the late nineties and started 41 grands prix for Jordan, Minardi, Lotus and Williams, but has raced touring cars since a huge ChampCar accident at Lausitz in 2001 left him needing prosthetic legs.

Zanardi said earlier this year that he would like to compete in wheelchair sports at the 2012 Paralympic Games in London.

I hope he goes on racing in some formula or another! I always admired him for his will and determination to come back after his horrible accident! He didn't do too well in F1 (most probably thanks to the crap cars he's been driving, but his CC titles and especially his wins in WTCC after his accident make him sort of a hero for me. I remember his first win in WTCC, everyone was so happy... and he burst into tears on the top step of the podium. It was awesome seeing him being barely able to walk and still beat every one of his 100% fit competitors!

Very Happy
guesswho's back
guesswho's back

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Zanardi retires from WTCC

Message par midgrid le Jeu Nov 26, 2009 1:41 pm

It would be nice to see him in the BTCC next year, although I suppose his main focus will be training for the Paralympics.

Message par guesswho's back le Jeu Nov 26, 2009 2:15 pm

most probably so, yes!

Maybe he'll race something after that! ... or not.
guesswho's back
guesswho's back

Message par midgrid le Jeu Nov 26, 2009 5:31 pm

It could be a hard year for the WTCC next year in general - SEAT may pull out and the other manufacturers may reduce their works entries, Tarquini (the new champion) may retire, Nicola Larini is retiring.

Message par revngo le Ven Mai 28, 2010 12:49 am

I shall look forward to seeing Zanardi compete in the paralympics, I totally admire the man for what he has accomplished Cool
revngo
revngo