Daily News Thread

Page 29 of 32 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Go down

Re: Daily News Thread

Post by Jarnooo on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:12 pm

Pirelli have brought back ' the cliff'. For crying out loud!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:44 am

Honda still reluctant to employ outside help

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/14689196/honda-reluctant-employ-help

Just like Renault (although they now have an "advisor" which isn't expected to amount to much for the foreseeable future). I get the feeling that Honda won't do much either next season. It's a shame these teams won't try everything to rectify their issues, like Ferrari did. They struggled too, brought in outside help and closed the gap. Oh well.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:39 pm

Since nothing's going on, I thought this was pretty ridiculous:

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Jorda-hits-back-at-Sorensen-s-12s-per-lap-claim,99966.html

You just need to look at her results, so it’s good that people can figure out who has talent and who does not.

Yeah, it looks like his talent wasn't enough to even keep a testing job. I guess people figured that out alright.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Jorda is rubbish and delusional!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:25 pm

F1 quali to get massive overhaul

Formula 1 bosses have voted unanimously to deliver a dramatic overhaul of the qualifying format for the upcoming season.

Following a meeting of the Strategy Group and F1 Commission in Geneva, the format change has been voted through to spice up the show.

Qualifying will remain as a one-hour session, split into three segments, but drivers must be on track throughout each part until they get knocked out.

Details on how the new qualifying format will work exactly have yet to be decided, but the general outline has been agreed.

Q1 will now last 16 minutes and after seven minutes the slowest driver will take no further part in the session.

Every 90 seconds thereafter, the slowest will be knocked out until there are only 15 drivers remaining.

After a short break, Q2 will commence and last 15 minutes with the slowest driver eliminated after six minutes.

As was the case in Q1, the slowest driver at the time will be knocked out at 90-second intervals until eight remain.

Q3 will last 14 minutes and see the process repeated again with the slowest taking no further part after five minutes.

The next five drivers will drop out at 90-second intervals leaving the final two drivers to fight it out for pole in the final 90 seconds.

The change will require ratification by the World Motor Sport Council, which next meets on March 4.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122937

Finally some changes! The format had been pretty much dead for quite a while. Remains to be seen how it actually works, but at the very least, drivers will be on track competing!
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:34 pm

Maybe the qualifying won't get much of an overhaul after all... I hate F1's inability to make changes. If they keep the old format more or less, I won't be watching, it's that simple. Maybe the last 5 minutes.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:55 pm

F1 forever wrote:Maybe the qualifying won't get much of an overhaul after all... I hate F1's inability to make changes. If they keep the old format more or less, I won't be watching, it's that simple. Maybe the last 5 minutes.

Looks like F1 just dodged a bullet there! Wink

F1 will proceed with the new live elimination qualifying procedure at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix after it was ratified by the FIA.

Last week the F1 Commission and Strategy Group agreed to tweak the rules of qualifying for the coming season, opting for a live elimination format over the three sessions. Bernie Ecclestone then said the new format would be delayed until Spain because the necessary timing software was not ready, but the potential glitches have now been ironed out and the new system is set to go ahead despite some driver opposition.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/14900729/live-elimination-qualifying-procedure-agreed-australian-grand-prix

Wow, F1 actually makes a decision! In ya face, Alfonso! mrgreen
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:01 pm

Really excited about the new qualifying! Of course the fastest car will still get pole (as it should be), but there should be surprises in every qualifying. Then add things like weather etc., and you have a show worth watching again. At least from my POV.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:02 pm

new quali is feckers! Needs heavy editing, or scrapping altogether!

- Kimi was a completely unique F1-driver, different character, brilliant driver and the most fair opponent I have ever known
   Fernando Alonso, before 2012

"It felt better than sex!", Lewis Hamilton after his first GP win.
"Maybe he has never tried sex?", Kimi Räikkönen's comment on that.
Gary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Gary wrote:new quali is feckers! Needs heavy editing, or scrapping altogether!

They're on it!

Jean Todt believes Formula One will be able to agree on an improved qualifying format at a meeting with teams and stakeholders in Bahrain on Sunday.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/15117621/fia-president-jean-todt-optimistic-f1-teams-agree-qualifying-change
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:42 pm

F1 is out of touch with everyone except themselves at the moment. At this stage, nothing but a driver's strike will change anything, but I don't see that happening unless it directly affects them.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:34 pm

I don't know - if the end result of this is a better qualifying going forward, it's easily been worth it in my book!

I think the main issues regardless of format (incentives to saves tyres, incentives to qualify lower than possible) are extremely easy to solve.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:31 pm

Interesting - looks like they discussed something that is similar to the old format, but the two fastest laps per driver in every segment would be added to determine the order.

Pretty clever - that would make sure all drivers have to put in at least two flying laps per qualifying segment. So then the question is how to manage the tyre situation...

edit: Apparently drivers get an additional set of tyres from Q2 so that every driver should have enough for two attempts per segment.

Obviously this mode would make it harder for the drivers as they have to get it right twice to succeed. That would perhaps mean that some drivers take less risks, but on the other hand, others could take more risks and be rewarded with a higher position than they would usually get.

I like this so far...
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:43 pm

Well the 2015 qualifying format is back. Better than what we've seen the last 2 races, but the problems with it haven't been solved either. I guess empty tracks, tyre saving strategies and predictable results will continue to be a problem for qualifying.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KoKiNa on Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:37 pm

In any case it will be much, much better than the format for the last two races... Smile
KoKiNa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:53 pm

F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:14 pm

So old quali is back...thank Christ! Alonso is also back, which is great for him, but I'm kinda sad that we won't see Vandoorne in the car again! Until next year anyway.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RaySinKa on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:01 pm

Jarnooo wrote:

So old quali is back...thank Christ! Alonso is also back, which is great for him, but I'm kinda sad that we won't see Vandoorne in the car again! Until next year anyway.

And Hamilton is back!

Five places back on the grid for a gearbox change.

Must be a Merc conspiracy Laughing

Gone over to Moto GP!

Where they race in the rain.
Ride flat out.
Overtake using speed and skill.

Bye, Bye.

Ray
RaySinKa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:47 pm

Yeah, looks like Merc have decided they want a German champion this year. I wonder if they told Lewis.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:01 pm

Razz

- Kimi was a completely unique F1-driver, different character, brilliant driver and the most fair opponent I have ever known
   Fernando Alonso, before 2012

"It felt better than sex!", Lewis Hamilton after his first GP win.
"Maybe he has never tried sex?", Kimi Räikkönen's comment on that.
Gary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:08 pm

Vandoorne seems to be a remarkable talent...

McLaren Formula 1 reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne claimed a podium finish on his debut in the Japanese Super Formula series at Suzuka.

The reigning GP2 champion, who finished in the points on his F1 debut with McLaren standing in for Fernando Alonso in the Bahrain Grand Prix earlier this month, claimed third place for the Honda-powered Dandelion Racing team after starting fourth.

Vandoorne moved up a place at the start at the expense of Yuhi Sekiguchi, who later picked up a penalty for his mechanics restarting his car on the grid after he stalled at the start of the formation lap.

While race winner Naoki Yamamoto pulled away to win by more than 10 seconds, Vandoorne spent the majority of the race fighting with Yuji Kunimoto, who he was unable to find a way past.

"To get third place in my first race in Super Formula is a good weekend," said Vandoorne.

"We are very satisfied to be able to get such a good result against very experienced drivers.

"We were aiming to fight at a high level and I think we did a great job.

"This is a good result at a difficult circuit - we were fast in qualifying and ran without any mistakes in the race.

"Although I was pushing to overtake Kunimoto, he did not make a mistake, but I'm happy with the start to the season."

We're gonna see him next season in a F1 car, that seems to be a pretty sure thing...
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Thu May 05, 2016 2:59 pm

F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zag on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:55 am

Kimi signed by Ferrari for another year....... Rolling Eyes

cat

Zag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:08 pm

They can definitely hire another driver for at least a quarter of Kimi's salary who could also develop a car well. It seems in typical Ferrari fashion they just want a clear #2. Expensive #2!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zag on Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:05 pm

When you see who is out there it makes no sense to me... its not as if Kimi is good at development/feedback..

How is Vettel going to feel about being #2 when Lewis arrives in 2017...............

cat
Zag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 32 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum