F-1 bans all team to driver telemetry radio

Go down

F-1 bans all team to driver telemetry radio

Post by 00521 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:57 pm

REUTERS wrote:Formula One has banned from next week's Singapore Grand Prix all radio communications that help improve the performance of the car or driver in a move that could add another twist to the title battle between Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton.

A technical directive was issued to teams on Wednesday evening (NZT Thursday) by the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) to remind them of the wording of article 20.1 of the 2014 sporting regulations.

This stated that ''the driver must drive the car alone and unaided".

The FIA said no radio conversation from pit to driver may include any information ''related to the performance of the car or driver'' and also cited article 8.5.2 of the technical regulations stipulating that ''pit to car telemetry is prohibited''.

The rules applied to all track sessions during a grand prix weekend and would include warning drivers about fuel consumption and the condition of a car's brakes and tyres.

Information about traffic and telling drivers when to make their pitstops would remain permissible as would team orders regarding overtaking and general messages between the pit and driver.

The change could reward those drivers with a more intuitive style and who were good at keeping on top of all the in-car readings.

The move came after a marked increase in radio traffic this season following the introduction of the new V6 turbo hybrid power units and a greater emphasis on fuel saving, tyre management and energy recovery.

Race engineers have increasingly been advising their drivers how to gain a track advantage or vital fractions of a second in performance, with Mercedes team-mates Rosberg and Hamilton no exceptions.

Retired four times world champion Alain Prost was one of those who has advocated just such a clampdown, telling autosport.com that Formula One was sending out literally the wrong messages.

Drivers have already said that the cars were easier to drive than previously.

''The messages for the public, the spectators, the people watching TV, these messages are very negative, because even if it's not completely true, people can think Formula One has become something too assisted, easy and controlled by somebody else than the driver,'' said the Frenchman.

The counter-argument was that Formula One was a team sport, with teams fighting for the constructors' championship as well as the drivers' crown.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: F-1 bans all team to driver telemetry radio

Post by Rus-Evo on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi 00521,

I surprised we are not making a bigger deal of this...... this is a big deal!!!

I don't believe cars are easier to drive though...... when I saw Ayrton Sennas Macca I noticed just how few buttons it had on the wheel.... I think it was radio and drink only. The management skills needed now are different skill sets than previous eras but not lesser I think.

How will some drivers cope?? Some may now have a more suitable skill set whilst others have a less suitable set.

Experience is more important now!
Rus-Evo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:43 am

Rus-Evo wrote:How will some drivers cope??  Some may now have a more suitable skill set whilst others have a less suitable set.

Experience is more important now!

We'll see, but who didn't see this coming?

http://en.espnf1.com/singapore/motorsport/story/176495.html

My subjective impression during the race was that there was certainly some driver coaching going on there, but then it will almost always be rather easy to explain it away for the teams - truthfully or not. Only the team will really know.

I like the spirit of the rule, but enforcing it seems impossible. But at least it should limit it to some extent.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rus-Evo on Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:48 am

Does anyone remember the driver who was coached ALL THE WAY UP TO TURN ONE on who was around him?

I think it was Taku.

Of course in American ovals the spotters are a key part of the race!
Rus-Evo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 00521 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:06 pm

Rus-Evo wrote:Does anyone remember the driver who was coached ALL THE WAY UP TO TURN ONE on who was around him?

I think it was Taku.

Of course in American ovals the spotters are a key part of the race!

Yes, it's such a tough call.

The telemetry measures and possible ability to actually reverse engineer problems from the pits and theoretically shut systems off, tune... (as the race goes on) have always been far more suspect, IMHO.

These drivers' aid systems probably do make the driver's jobs far more easy, but even remembering when just to apply same, probably far more complex, so many driver systems should be banned, outright... now.

(After all, if they did NOT provide a strategic advantage why create, nurture and keep them?... so obviously, they DO... However the teams' IT teams have become such an intrinsic part of F-1, that its probably far too hard to eliminate them now, politically.

A REAL question should be, why did out take 2 decades for FIA to get a grip on this issue (Max Mosley did not care, obviously) and more importantly... just where will it go in the future.

If this is not checked, outright, now, the next step that we're headed in is indeed a form of semi-automation over the next decade, and that is NOT where the sport should go.

Who knows... what kind of car controls 20 years from now?

Better to leave it alone, and stop it now.

Cordial Best,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum