2014 FORMULA 1 RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: 2014 FORMULA 1 RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by Zag on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:28 pm

I think Merc should share their engine design..... just like Red Bull was willing to share their winning car design...

cat
avatar
Zag

Messages : 3209
Points : 9103
Date d'inscription : 2009-11-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 FORMULA 1 RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by JPS4ever on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:10 pm

Schuy1 wrote:Yeah, sure.

After Merc spending many millions of Euros/Pounds/Dollars on engine research & design, and getting it right, lets just let the other engine suppliers "copy" our success  ......  otherwise it "won't be fair"  ...

Get real man! Razz

Are you serious?  All teams spent money and just because 1 team got it right, that doesn't mean other teams shouldn't be allowed to improve (not copy).

I stand by what I said.  Teams should be able to develop their car and engine, especially in a year of drastic rule change.  The recent engine freeze regs have never played a part in making one team so dominant like they have this year.  It's artificial and it's made for a boring championship.

There was no freeze on aero when Redbull were dominant.  They just stayed ahead of everyone because they were better.  There was no freeze on diffusers when Brawn came up with the DD.  It was just difficult for other teams to incorporate into their car designs.

The engine freeze guaranteed that whoever was ahead at the start of this year remained ahead.  That to me is unfair and definitely not in the spirit of the F1.

And Schuy1, I highly doubt you'd be of the same opinion if Renault or Ferrari had come up with the best power unit this year.   Razz

_________________
avatar
JPS4ever

Messages : 730
Points : 2989
Date d'inscription : 2009-11-24
Localisation : Toronto, Canada (centre of the Universe)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 FORMULA 1 RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by zing on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:47 am

JPS4ever wrote:There was no freeze on aero when Redbull were dominant. They just stayed ahead of everyone because they were better. There was no freeze on diffusers when Brawn came up with the DD. It was just difficult for other teams to incorporate into their car designs.

The engine freeze guaranteed that whoever was ahead at the start of this year remained ahead. That to me is unfair and definitely not in the spirit of the F1.

You are spot on. I can remember engine freezes after V10s were replaced with 8's and I can also remember Renault being about to apply some fixes because it was so underpowered in a Red Bull.

As much as I have been a supporter of Mercedes and appreciate their success, the championship is a total blowout and eclipses Red Bull dominance. I still think Mercedes deserves credit for annihilating the competition but in the bigger part of the sport - the engine freeze in the first year a PU conversion is really stupid.
avatar
zing

Messages : 4708
Points : 19012
Date d'inscription : 2009-11-25
Localisation :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 FORMULA 1 RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by Zag on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:33 pm

So because one team got it right and the others less right they should be allowed to catch up?
What about Mercedes, would they also be allowed to change things in their engine as I am sure there
are some things they could do even better..

If not, why not, as if there is no engine freeze it has got to apply to everyone and in Mercedes's case
would probably put them further ahead.

They all had the same design brief, the same book of rules... and this year Mercedes did the best job,
same as every year.

Hey, you've got Newey, that's not fair, we want him too...  you've got DD and we cannot put it on our car,
that's not fair... you've got Alonso and we have Maldonado, that's not fair...  (athough as of this morning
you CAN have FA if you want him.. Smile )  ..  etc etc..

Lets make it absolutely fair, same cars, same engines, and as some drivers are better
than others, driver rotation...  that sounds like fun...

cat
avatar
Zag

Messages : 3209
Points : 9103
Date d'inscription : 2009-11-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 FORMULA 1 RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by Schuy1 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:41 pm

Zag wrote:So because one team got it right and the others less right they should be allowed to catch up?
What about Mercedes, would they also be allowed to change things in their engine as I am sure there
are some things they could do even better..

If not, why not, as if there is no engine freeze it has got to apply to everyone and in Mercedes's case
would probably put them further ahead.

They all had the same design brief, the same book of rules... and this year Mercedes did the best job,
same as every year.

Hey, you've got Newey, that's not fair, we want him too...  you've got DD and we cannot put it on our car,
that's not fair... you've got Alonso and we have Maldonado, that's not fair...  (athough as of this morning
you CAN have FA if you want him.. Smile )  ..  etc etc..

Lets make it absolutely fair, same cars, same engines, and as some drivers are better
than others, driver rotation...  that sounds like fun...

cat

+1 Zag



.... like Ferrari (2000 to 2004) offered to share Schumi with the other teams "so it would be more fair"   Razz

_________________


..... until someone wins   EIGHT WDC !!!!
and PLEASE GET WELL SOON SCHUMI  :sad1:
avatar
Schuy1

Messages : 2030
Points : 5815
Date d'inscription : 2009-11-27
Localisation : Adelaide, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 FORMULA 1 RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by JPS4ever on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:58 pm

Zag wrote:So because one team got it right and the others less right they should be allowed to catch up?
What about Mercedes, would they also be allowed to change things in their engine as I am sure there
are some things they could do even better..

Of course they would. That's the ways it was before the engine freeze and that's the way it is with aero. The freeze artificially keeps whoever starts the season on top ahead of the rest. We might as well have called it a day after the 1st race.

The rest of your post is ridiculous and not even worth commenting on Razz

_________________
avatar
JPS4ever

Messages : 730
Points : 2989
Date d'inscription : 2009-11-24
Localisation : Toronto, Canada (centre of the Universe)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 FORMULA 1 RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by Zag on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:18 pm

JPS4ever wrote:
The rest of your post is ridiculous and not even worth commenting on Razz
Nah, you just couldn't think of a valid argument against it...  Razz

If there was no engine freeze then the Mercedes would be even better......

Anyway, it is not just the Mercedes engine, many teams run it, they have just designed the best
all round package, just the same as RB did for the last 4 years...

Mercedes are not my team but I am enjoying this season especially as we do not have a
Schumacher system of a number 1 who has to win, but two guys fighting each other hard...

Next year I hope we are having this same discussion but over the utter domination of McLaren..
(as long as Lewis goes back there..  Smile  )

cat
avatar
Zag

Messages : 3209
Points : 9103
Date d'inscription : 2009-11-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 FORMULA 1 RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by zing on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:47 am

JPS4ever wrote:
Zag wrote:So because one team got it right and the others less right they should be allowed to catch up?
What about Mercedes, would they also be allowed to change things in their engine as I am sure there
are some things they could do even better..

Of course they would.  That's the ways it was before the engine freeze and that's the way it is with aero.  The freeze artificially keeps whoever starts the season on top ahead of the rest.  We might as well have called it a day after the 1st race.
 

Zag can't remember the V8 era.  Imagine if Mclaren would have had to keep it's crap box V8 for 5 years after switching
from V10's in 2006 , but they didn't ....  FIA slacked the rules for this to happen and the all of a sudden Mercedes was the most powerful
on the grid .. then they slacked them again to have other teams catch up....
avatar
zing

Messages : 4708
Points : 19012
Date d'inscription : 2009-11-25
Localisation :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 FORMULA 1 RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by Zag on Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:25 am

No of course I don't...

Mercedes got it right, the others didn't and like I said many teams use their engine and
are nowhere near as quick..

The FIA has always slackened/changed the rules when 'they' see fit and am pretty sure, given
their track record, they would do nothing to help McLaren in 2006 or any other year...

In the case of the engine freeze all teams signed up to it and I am sure it will be relaxed next
year so they can all do a better job.. and maybe a better chassis too...

cat

avatar
Zag

Messages : 3209
Points : 9103
Date d'inscription : 2009-11-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 FORMULA 1 RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by 00521 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:24 am

avatar
00521

Messages : 1281
Points : 5468
Date d'inscription : 2009-11-24
Age : 98
Localisation : Santa Fe & Hawaii, U.S.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum