Funding Revolution!

Go down

Funding Revolution!

Post by RaySinKa on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Bernie Ecclestone: I don't know how to fix F1 finances!

He can't fix what he and Max Bishop helped create because three teams are powerful enough to veto changes.

"...Ecclestone has struck private financial deals with all the teams over the last few years and the result has been a revenue split that is heavily in favour of the big teams.

The contracts are secret, but Ferrari are believed to have been paid more than $200m (£125m) for the 2013 season, in which they finished third in the championship, including $90m just for turning up.

By contrast, Marussia earned a reputed $14m (£8.8m), and Caterham a little more than double that..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29868355

To keep F1 strong I think a fresh and radical look is at finances.

What I would like to see is a model based on the NFL but I suspect it would never happen. With the NFL teams are offered new players in reverse order, so the weakest teams from the previous year get first pick from the draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_draft

If F1 moved to a system where the weakest team received the best funding and the best, who may well be able to attract better sponsorship, received the least funding then the playing field is leveled giving a stronger field of cars.

As it is now, usually, the stronger teams are given every opportunity to get stronger, whereas the weaker teams continue to fall backwards.

Gone over to Moto GP!

Where they race in the rain.
Ride flat out.
Overtake using speed and skill.

Bye, Bye.

Ray
RaySinKa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Funding Revolution!

Post by Jarnooo on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:44 pm

The same sort of system is in place in the AFL (Australian football).

However, I'm not sure it would work with F1, at least not with the money. I have a feeling it would drive away the top teams, as the big prize money is surely one of the big attractions of F1.

I still think it could be a good idea, just with something other than money. Can't think of what that could be though just yet...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RaySinKa on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:33 pm

Very interesting and revealing article;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29905081

I will copy and paste the whole article to you if you cannot access the BBC site.

Gone over to Moto GP!

Ride flat out.

Bye, Bye.

Ray
RaySinKa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RaySinKa on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:28 pm

Jarnooo wrote:

The same sort of system is in place in the AFL (Australian football).

However, I'm not sure it would work with F1, at least not with the money. I have a feeling it would drive away the top teams, as the big prize money is surely one of the big attractions of F1.

I still think it could be a good idea, just with something other than money. Can't think of what that could be though just yet...

If you can read the BBC article, as I have and reflected upon, I am beginning to wonder what the big three would do.

A bit of me thinks that they need F1 more than F1 needs them. History and tradition is fine, to a point but if it is the baggage that history and tradition brings maybe it is time to call a few bluffs.

What could be the difference;

A grid with six or eight cars racing each other with another 16 squabbling for crumbs 30 seconds behind.

Or a grid with 18 - 20 equally matched cars, but different cars, fighting for position throughout the race?

Gone over to Moto GP!

Ride flat out.

Bye, Bye.

Ray
RaySinKa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:03 pm

Well, I don't understand how come somebody wants to be in F1 under such adverse conditions.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RaySinKa on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:42 pm

Panda wrote:

Well, I don't understand how come somebody wants to be in F1 under such adverse conditions.

Optimisim that they can break the mould and fight their way to the top, as a few teams have in recent times.

Gone over to Moto GP!

Ride flat out.

Bye, Bye.

Ray
RaySinKa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum