Alonso 'OK' after crash.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Alonso 'OK' after crash.

Post by 00521 on Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 20:01

McLaren has released a team statement reading:

"Today at 12:35 CET, while testing at the Circuit de Catalunya (Barcelona), during the fourth and final day of the current test, Fernando Alonso's McLaren-Honda car left the track at Turn Three, causing the right-hand side of his car to strike the wall.

"Fernando was driven to the circuit's Medical Centre where the circuit's doctors gave him first aid. He was conscious and spoke with the doctors.

"However, as per usual procedure in such circumstances, he was then airlifted to hospital where he is undergoing precautionary checks. We will issue a further update in due course."

From Our Site:

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Barcelona-I-day-4-Grosjean-quickest-on-final-day-as-Alonso-crashes-out,87007.html

Additional:

http://www.sport-english.com/en/news/sports/latest-fernando-alonso-conscious-and-speaking-after-crash-barcelona-3959112

http://au.eurosport.com/formula-1/alonso-taken-to-hospital-after-crash_sto4612912/story.shtml

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/f1-fernando-alonso-crash-airlifted-mclaren

http://sportinglife.aol.co.uk/formula-1/news/article/24731/9727217/alonso-airlifted-to-hospital

Cordial Best,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Alonso 'OK' after crash.

Post by KoKiNa on Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 0:00

A very strange accident... as the car is almost intact. The four wheels are on its place without apparent damage and the crash is in parallel to the wall. Fernando stayed unconscious inside the car for ten minutes and then they take him to the medical center and to the hospital by air.

The more credible theory actually for me is to have received some electrical shock from the MGU-K unit, before he crashed slightly onto the wall and after 50-100 mts. the car stopped by itself.
KoKiNa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 0:15

Here's a sequence of photos of the incident.

Looks to me like he got some oversteer and couldn't get full control of it. A little unsure how such a 'routine' crash would have knocked him out.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 00521 on Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 0:39

KoKiNa, I agree...So Very Strange.

Indeed, might have been electrical shock induced... I mean...

10 minutes unconscious?

That's a near tragedy. That's incredible and VERY scary.

Certainly not a 'regular' accident.

Cordial Best,

Last edited by 00521 on Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 0:44; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 00521 on Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 0:43

Jarnooo wrote:Here's a sequence of photos of the incident.

Looks to me like he got some oversteer and couldn't get full control of it. A little unsure how such a 'routine' crash would have knocked him out.

Not only weird, but in the pics look at how many people are surrounding him, and still no doctor seems to give him oxygen or attempt to remove his helmet?

(Maybe they knew it was electrical and feared making it worse... or getting shocked, so are figuring their rescue approach???)

What would Dr. Sid Watkins have said to that?

Cordial Best,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 2:19

Doesn't look like oversteer was a problem, more like he just gradually turned right into the wall.

Vettel wrote:"The speed was slow - maybe 150kph. Then he turned right into the wall. It looked strange."

Perhaps he had already lost consciousness.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 00521 on Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 19:38

Al Jazeera wrote:
McLaren says Fernando Alonso is making a 'solid recovery' after being concussed following a crash in Formula One testing and is staying in hospital for further observation.

The Spanish driver was airlifted by helicopter to the hospital for precautionary checks after his McLaren collided with a wall at the Barcelona-Catalunya circuit on Sunday.

In a statement released on Monday, McLaren says Alonso is chatting to family, friends and hospital staff as he recovers 'from the effects of the medication that successfully managed his routine sedation'.
McLaren says MRI and CT scans returned 'completely normal' results and the team 'will evaluate in due course whether or not he will participate in the next Barcelona test'.

Wind problem

Meanwhile, McLaren have blamed gusting winds for Alonso's crash and dismissed 'erroneous rumours' that an electrical fault could have rendered the driver unconscious before the impact.

McLaren said a detailed analysis of damage to the car, and telemetry data, indicated the accident was caused by the unpredictably gusty winds at that part of the circuit at that time, and which had affected other drivers similarly.
The data also showed the car had no loss of aerodynamic pressure nor was there any electrical discharge or irregularity in the ERS (energy recovery) system before, during or after the incident.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/02/alonso-making-solid-recovery-formula-crash-150223155945029.html

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda on Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 22:24

Hard to believe that some gusty winds could cause this accident, and according to some reports the deceleration impact reached the 15g. If gusty winds can cause this level of damage, let’s say that Fernando Alonso is really a lucky man.
Is wind more dangerous than rain?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 23:47

Some excerpts from the McLaren press release:

McLaren wrote:His car ran wide at the entry to Turn Three – which is a fast uphill right-hander – allowing it to run onto the Astroturf that lines the outside of the track. A consequent loss of traction caused a degree of instability, spitting it back towards the inside of the circuit, where it regained traction and struck the wall side-on.

McLaren wrote:Our findings indicate that the accident was caused by the unpredictably gusty winds at that part of the circuit at that time, and which had affected other drivers similarly (eg, Carlos Sainz Jnr).

McLaren wrote:That last point refutes the erroneous rumours that have spread recently to the effect that Fernando was rendered unconscious by an electrical fault. That is simply not true. Our data clearly shows that he was downshifting while applying full brake pressure right up to the moment of the first impact – something that clearly would not have been possible had he been unconscious at the time.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 0:12

right, how about we wait to hear things from doctors and hope all is good

- Kimi was a completely unique F1-driver, different character, brilliant driver and the most fair opponent I have ever known
   Fernando Alonso, before 2012

"It felt better than sex!", Lewis Hamilton after his first GP win.
"Maybe he has never tried sex?", Kimi Räikkönen's comment on that.
Gary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 00521 on Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 19:38

Gary wrote:right, how about we wait to hear things from doctors and hope all is good

Gary...

Exactly.

He deserves far better than this. The possible long term effects of the concussion are very, very, worrisome.

I mean... 10 minutes unconscious??? 'Everyone' has concussed, but to have it announced... ??? Serious.

IMHO, were this the old days, he'd possibly be finished, if not dead.

Remember Stirling Moss' accident?

Saying a Prayer for Fernando.

Cordial Best,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 00521 on Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 19:42

Just found this.

He looks REALLY good.

Now... has he lost any:
-Reaction Time?
-Spatial Reference?
-Visual Acuity?
-Overall Judgement?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31627040

Cordial Best,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 0:37

It seems there is something more to this. The photographer said there was no wind and he was not going fast (as Vettel also said). Seems to me as though he was already unconscious by the time he hit the wall. Then again, how could he downshift if he was out? Drifting in and out of consciousness? Who knows. Brb getting my tinfoil hat!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KoKiNa on Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 9:53

00521 wrote:
Gary wrote:right, how about we wait to hear things from doctors and hope all is good

Gary...

Exactly.

He deserves far better than this. The possible long term effects of the concussion are very, very, worrisome.

I mean... 10 minutes unconscious???  'Everyone' has concussed, but to have it announced... ???  Serious.

IMHO, were this the old days, he'd possibly be finished, if not dead.

Remember Stirling Moss' accident?

Saying a Prayer for Fernando.

Cordial Best,

He is yet out of the hospital, but will not drive these last tests in Barcelona. His place will be occupied by Kevin Magnussen.

It doesn't look like a very big accident, but still it smells like not all the truth has been said...
KoKiNa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 13:39

He's saving it for the autobiography mrgreen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JPS4ever on Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 18:43

Hope he can race in Australia. Then again, it might save him the embarrassment of a DNF when the car breaks down on lap 1.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 00521 on Fri 27 Feb 2015 - 22:54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Tue 3 Mar 2015 - 14:20

It is confirmed, Alonso will miss the season opener! Magnussen will take his place.

What concerns me are the real implications of this incident. Will he return to his best? Will he race next season? Will he race this season???

So many questions.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Tue 3 Mar 2015 - 22:41

Jarnooo wrote:What concerns me are the real implications of this incident. Will he return to his best? Will he race next season? Will he race this season???

So many questions.

"Alonso is targeting a return at the Malaysian Grand Prix on March 29."
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Wed 4 Mar 2015 - 0:17

Well, he was targeting last tests first, then Melbourne race, so I would not take that comment on face value only.

- Kimi was a completely unique F1-driver, different character, brilliant driver and the most fair opponent I have ever known

Gary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Wed 4 Mar 2015 - 22:29

Gary wrote:Well, he was targeting last tests first, then Melbourne race, so I would not take that comment on face value only.

It's a very normal precautionary measure to avoid Second-Impact Syndrome. He is just following the advice of his doctors.

link

Of course he'd be able to drive earlier, and maybe he wanted to personally at some point, but I see no point in taking that unnecessary risk, all things considered.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Thu 5 Mar 2015 - 1:52

I am not saying that Fernando is fibbing, I am saying I wouldn't trust McL even if they said Sun rises from east.

Gary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Thu 5 Mar 2015 - 23:26

If true, things could get interesting soon:

F1 teams are threatening to boycott unless clearer information about Fernando Alonso's mysterious testing crash is revealed.

http://www.newsonf1.co.uk/2015/news/Mar/article_Teams_threatening_boycott_over_Alonso_crash_report.html

Not the easiest thing to determine what is fabricated and what isn't about what some magazines claim to know about the case.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KoKiNa on Fri 6 Mar 2015 - 2:29

F1 forever wrote:
Gary wrote:Well, he was targeting last tests first, then Melbourne race, so I would not take that comment on face value only.

It's a very normal precautionary measure to avoid Second-Impact Syndrome. He is just following the advice of his doctors.

link

Of course he'd be able to drive earlier, and maybe he wanted to personally at some point, but I see no point in taking that unnecessary risk, all things considered.

But there is no sense with SIS if no first impact exists. TAC's and contrast checks says no damage in Fer brain, so no reason for SIS fear. Everyday it looks more and more strange...
KoKiNa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Fri 6 Mar 2015 - 3:07

It's been reported that after the crash, when asked about himself, he said he was Fernando Alonso, drove karts and wanted to be an F1 driver. He was clearly in a bad way.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum