FINNished - Kimi on his way out?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

FINNished - Kimi on his way out?

Post by F1 forever on Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:03 am

He's one of my favorite drivers in today's F1, and I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after a difficult season last year.

But this year, he has left me scratching my head way too many times. If you're the boss at Ferrari, look at his performance, keeping in mind he earns one of the highest salaries in F1...do you let him walk after this season?
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FINNished - Kimi on his way out?

Post by F1 forever on Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:04 am

F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:55 am

I'm not sure he'll see out the season. Sad in a way, but he just isn't performing. Then again, if he's as lucky as Massa, he may stay there a few more years lol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:25 pm

The plot thickens:

Ferrari has launched a bid to secure the services of Valtteri Bottas, according to Germany's Bild newspaper

http://www.newsonf1.co.uk/2015/news/Jun/article_Ferrari_makes_move_to_sign_Bottas_report.html

Sucks that Hülkenberg can't get there because of Vettel. But at least Hulk would remain in F1.

BTW, I think Bottas is overrated. 34 yo Massa is looking pretty good relative to him...
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:39 am

Well, Hulkenberg is nothing compared to Massa, so Bottas who wins Massa is way better than Hulkenberg then.

- Kimi was a completely unique F1-driver, different character, brilliant driver and the most fair opponent I have ever known
   Fernando Alonso, before 2012

"It felt better than sex!", Lewis Hamilton after his first GP win.
"Maybe he has never tried sex?", Kimi Räikkönen's comment on that.
Gary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:54 am

Gary wrote:Well, Hulkenberg is nothing compared to Massa, so Bottas who wins Massa is way better than Hulkenberg then.

What?

F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 00521 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:54 am

Personally, I think Hulkenberg is still on the development curve and has many good years ahead. He will be great at Ferrari or wherever he goes, but on the other hand, he might be a REAL handful for Vettel, psychologically.

After years of struggling... Massa is finally again near his top, and actually would be great to see him back at Ferrari as he tries to redeem his tough years after the accident...

Personally I think Massa is actually better than Bottas at present, but with his age and past at Ferrari, the Scuderia will probably never take him back, and I'm not sure that he would even want to go back. Williams seems to suit him fine, as team leader. he is certainly having a better year than Kimi, however, and with a car that is not as good. Says a LOT about his guts.

Would be great to see Massa end his career at Ferrari, (especially after his severe accident and massive facial and mental reconstruction), but I just don't see it happening..

Bottas is really such a strange bird... so extremely emotionless... not the Ferrari type, but that might be exactly why they want him. Kinda like Kimi's iceman quality, but even MORE so, and more quite...  might make a good second fiddle to Vettel.

If it were me, Hulkenberg, but then (thankfully) I'm not Maurizio Arrivabene, am I?

;-)

Cordial Best,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nav on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:12 am

I think going for Bottas right now is probably the smartest thing Ferrari have done in years....besides sacking Di Montezemolo.

nav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:09 pm

F1 forever wrote:
Gary wrote:Well, Hulkenberg is nothing compared to Massa, so Bottas who wins Massa is way better than Hulkenberg then.

What?

Seems you can give this 'logic' but can't receive it. :pirat:

- Kimi was a completely unique F1-driver, different character, brilliant driver and the most fair opponent I have ever known

Gary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:36 pm

nav wrote:
I think going for Bottas right now is probably the smartest thing Ferrari have done in years....besides sacking Di Montezemolo.

I agree it's a good idea. He'd be a solid companion to their 4x WDC driver, and I can see why, from a marketing perspective, you can't have two German drivers at Ferrari. That's understandable.

I'm not saying he's not a pretty good driver by F1 standards, I'm just surprised that whenever there are rumours, they're always about Bottas and talking about him as if he was the next Hamilton or Vettel.

$15m just to pry him loose from Williams? While that's only the rumoured counter offer, it points in the same direction. I just don't perceive him as an upcoming star driver or anything.

F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:59 pm

00521, Massa is in the perfect place where he is. I'm really happy for him.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:19 pm

Well, I agree on Felipe, he is where he should be, and he keeps showing all he is good racer!

Gary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:25 pm

F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:45 pm

No surprise there, for many reasons, main one being that they are friends, second one being that Kimi is very talented car tester and thus great helper in car developement and finally third, at least while Vettel is winning, he loves racing against Kimi in same team. Cool

Gary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Gary, Kimi has been very defensive about the mistakes he made (blaming the car, criticizing his own team etc.). So it was refreshing to see at least Vettel mention them and not pretending that they didn't happen or that it was all somebody else's fault.

That was the interesting part of the article, for me.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zag on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:26 pm

Friends or not Vettel doesn't need a young gun beating him again like last year...

cat

Zag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:29 am

F1 forever wrote:Gary, Kimi has been very defensive about the mistakes he made (blaming the car, criticizing his own team etc.). So it was refreshing to see at least Vettel mention them and not pretending that they didn't happen or that it was all somebody else's fault.

That was the interesting part of the article, for me.

I think that when Kimi has blamed the team, and not his own mistakes, it has been later revealed to be teams fault. As to latest spin, Kimi did NOT blame team, instead he was totally baffled as to what happened.

Gary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:47 pm

I think Massa is probably right:

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2015/7/massa--raikkonen-feeling-the-pressure-at-ferrari.html

I've noticed that the more Arrivabene talked about it, the worse Kimi's performances got. In the beginning, it was just the qualifying results, and the criticism began. Then it spread to FP sessions and eventually now the races as well. The more pressure they put on him to perform, the worse the results.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:47 pm

Kimi Raikkonen admits he misjudged the rain

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/13201953/kimi-raikkonen-admits-misjudged-rain

Hey, at least he's admitting it! But that was tough to watch.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:21 am

He gambled, as did 4 or 5 other drivers. If he had got it right he would have been a genius. Funnily enough, Hamilton who said "I have no tyres" on the radio, only pitted because Rosberg was eating up the gap and gambled on inters too. Now he is being called the genius lol.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:29 pm

Jarnooo, what did you think when you saw Kimi coming in for inters at that point?

Personally, I screamed at the TV since I knew it would cost him a good race result once again!

Arrivabene after the race:

"What happened with Kimi is clear, as it is the driver who has to judge how the car is working on the track -- Kimi decided to come in early, which was a wrong decision," he added.

When Lewis came in, I didn't know whether the timing was perfect or not (Rosberg couldn't either). But it felt at least reasonable based on lap times etc.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:55 am

F1 forever wrote:Jarnooo, what did you think when you saw Kimi coming in for inters at that point?

Personally, I screamed at the TV since I knew it would cost him a good race result once again!

Arrivabene after the race:

"What happened with Kimi is clear, as it is the driver who has to judge how the car is working on the track -- Kimi decided to come in early, which was a wrong decision," he added.

Right, but what if it had rained as he came into his pit box? He would have been in the best position. The weather was so unpredictable that it was a fair gamble.

F1 forever wrote:
When Lewis came in, I didn't know whether the timing was perfect or not (Rosberg couldn't either). But it felt at least reasonable based on lap times etc.

Lewis was somewhat forced to pit. He was losing seconds every lap to Rosberg, so if he wanted to win he had to gamble. If it had rained just 1 lap later, Rosberg would have had the win in the bag.

I'm not a Raikkonen fan, but in this case I think luck played a bigger factor than skill in this situation.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:06 pm

Hmmm, I see where you're coming from. You can say Kimi gambled big time on future conditions, but you could also say his skill wasn't up to the task at hand (ability to remain quick under more difficult conditions / ability to properly judge current conditions).
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:45 pm

Bottas signs deal to replace Raikkonen - report

http://www.newsonf1.co.uk/2015/news/Jul/article_Bottas_signs_deal_to_replace_Raikkonen_report.html

If true, just goes to show how poorly Kimi has been performing in the eyes of his boss(es). After all, he's the most popular driver on the grid (as voted by fans recently).

I would hope for a stronger replacement than Bottas, but I guess Ferrari likes that sort of combination, still.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:45 am

I hope it's true. I don't another Massa situation. This will also be good as it will show us just how good Bottas really is since we can compare him directly to Vettel.

Kimi is fun to hang around, but I kind of hope he just retires and allows someone new to step in to F1.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum