FINNished - Kimi on his way out?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: FINNished - Kimi on his way out?

Post by KoKiNa on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:54 am

Maybe a return to McLaren?... Button is not 100% confirmed in the team and it will be nice to see again Kimi side by side with Fernando in a hopefully better car than the Ferrari (some day) :?
KoKiNa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zag on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:40 am

There is no chance Kimi will replace Button at McLaren... McLarens problems have
nothing to do with their present driver line up...  that is not to say Button or even
Alonso will be there next year, but if either are not it will not be Kimi...

cat
Zag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:43 pm

There's no way they'd put Kimi in the car over Magnussen AND Vandoorne.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lightmas on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:33 pm

IF they do drop JB, Vandoorne is the obvious choice for me. I am very impressed with him in GP2.

I think it is probably time for Kimi to call time on his F1 career. Bottas will simply do a better job..
lightmas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:47 pm

Jarnooo wrote:Kimi is fun to hang around, but I kind of hope he just retires and allows someone new to step in to F1.

He mentioned quite a few times that Ferrari would definitely be his last team in F1. Then again he probably didn't expect that stint to end that soon...
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:34 pm

Hulk not out of the running quite yet?

http://www.newsonf1.co.uk/2015/news/Jul/article_Hulkenberg_still_eyeing_Raikkonen_s_seat.html

But I probably shouldn't get my hopes up because of the marketing angle.

What I'm quite sure of is that Hulk would pose a big challenge for Vettel. Bottas, on the other hand, I'd expect to be a solid No. 2 driver that Vettel doesn't have to worry about in quali or race pace over the course of a season. OK, but very boring.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:21 am

I just read an interview with James Allison (in German). Looking at Kimi vs. Vettel, he sees no difference between the two in terms of pure speed. The real difference is the tendency to make mistakes, and other than the Bahrain weekend, Vettel has been perfect for Ferrari so far. Kimi's problems have mainly been mistakes in qualifying which can easily ruin the entire weekend.

Now, I don't disagree with any of this, but I think it's interesting to hear from a guy from within the team that probably doesn't try to be political in his statements. He stressed that he'd say the same things if Kimi was sitting right next to him. And he thinks Kimi would accept that assessment, too.

F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:27 pm

Wow, Ferrari with a rational decision?

Valtteri Bottas was said to be the big favourite.

But Blick's Benoit claims that the deal may have fallen through after Ferrari categorically ruled out paying Williams the EUR 12-18 million it was reportedly demanding for the young Finn's release.
"This is not football," Blick quoted Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne as saying, "so we should leave these (sorts of) transfer fees there."

http://www.newsonf1.co.uk/2015/news/Jul/article_Ferrari_to_let_Raikkonen_option_expire_report.html
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:38 pm

More signs:

Ferrari may issue a surprise at Monza in September by keeping its full team together for 2016.

Amid raging speculation about Kimi Raikkonen's future, the Italian publication Motorionline claims the Finn might actually be about to get his contract extended.

http://www.newsonf1.co.uk/2015/news/Jul/article_Ferrari_tipped_to_keep_Raikkonen_Allison.html

Interesting, and I'd personally love to see him another year in F1, especially if Bottas was the alternative (and not Hulk).
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:00 pm

We should start speculating who will replace Kimi in 2017 then.

- Kimi was a completely unique F1-driver, different character, brilliant driver and the most fair opponent I have ever known
   Fernando Alonso, before 2012

"It felt better than sex!", Lewis Hamilton after his first GP win.
"Maybe he has never tried sex?", Kimi Räikkönen's comment on that.
Gary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:47 am

Gary wrote:We should start speculating who will replace Kimi in 2017 then.

According to Motorsport Total, they are preparing to sign Max Verstappen for the 2017 season (and beyond). Makes sense.

Here's hoping for a much better second half of the season for Kimi. I want to see him win a race again!
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Erwee on Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:40 pm

F1 forever wrote:

According to Motorsport Total, they are preparing to sign Max Verstappen for the 2017 season (and beyond). Makes sense.

Here's hoping for a much better second half of the season for Kimi. I want to see him win a race again!
Max is under contract with RedBull, he should grow up with the junior team (maybe 2 or 3 years) before stepping up to RBR.
What's this thing about ? Shocked

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Erwee wrote:
F1 forever wrote:

Max is under contract with RedBull, he should grow up with the junior team (maybe 2 or 3 years) before stepping up to RBR.
What's this thing about ? Shocked

F1 contract information is relatively hard to find (as opposed to other sports like soccer), and even what's published often isn't very reliable.

But I'd speculate that a reasonable contract at Toro Rosso would be a 2-year contract, with the second year being a team option (since they're basically gambling on very young rookies). I'd guess after that, the driver would be a free agent. There is most likely no such thing as a RedBull option for a driver from another team (including Toro Rosso).

edit: Judging by an interview with Max, he seems to be under contract with Toro Rosso for 2 years (no options) - as opposed to Sainz (1 year). He could be called up to RedBull in the second year, but considers that unlikely at this point. After that, I'd guess anyone can bid for his services.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:31 pm

Both Max and Carlos will have F1 drives after TR, just not at RB.

- Kimi was a completely unique F1-driver, different character, brilliant driver and the most fair opponent I have ever known
   Fernando Alonso, before 2012

"It felt better than sex!", Lewis Hamilton after his first GP win.
"Maybe he has never tried sex?", Kimi Räikkönen's comment on that.
Gary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DamijanD on Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:23 pm

Not just yet - Kimi is confirmed for next year @ Ferrari

DamijanD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:09 pm

http://formula1.ferrari.com/en/scuderia-ferrari-raikkonens-contract-extended/

Congrats Kimi! I hope he'll make the best of it. Now that he got his contract extended, all of a sudden he's a lot more critical of his 1st half performance! Wink

Looks like he has to thank Williams' rather insane demands, too - which made keeping Kimi on his rich contract actually the less expensive proposition. The general situation on the drivers market really helped a lot here, it seems, as none of the rumoured replacements made real sense, all things considered (money, marketing, driving skills, contract situation etc.).
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:00 am

In a way I'm happy, as he hasn't really had a chance to stick it to Vettel yet between car problems.

In a way I'm disappointed, as it doesn't give a chance to Hulkenberg/Bottas/Ricciardo to move to a stronger car. Especially for Hulkenberg, as that's one more year in a midfield car. By 2017, I'm sure Verstappen would be preferred.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Ricciardo could have the best car next season if Renault makes its move and RBR moves to Mercedes power. I think the only guy that truly can't show his worth is Hulk in a Force India (or worse).
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:21 pm

New contract

According to the magazine, Maurizio Arrivabene has revealed that Raikkonen's new deal is for only "One year -- no option."

So they let the option expire and struck a new deal. That explains why it was announced that late, and why some papers claim he "took less" for next year.

Another interesting quote from Whitmarsh:

"Kimi is deeply frustrating," he said, "in that he's as smart as he is, and has all that pace -- and it just pisses you off that he compromises it.

http://www.newsonf1.co.uk/2015/news/Aug/article_Raikkonen_never_realised_full_potential_Whitmarsh.html
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:19 am

Hmmm...

Some believe the Ferrari move was spoiled for Bottas by the impressive recent form of teammate Massa, who drove for the Maranello team for eight years until 2013.

http://www.newsonf1.co.uk/2015/news/Sep/article_Hakkinen_defends_Bottas_after_Ferrari_rumours.html

Looks like I wasn't the only one who found that interesting...
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum