Rules! Why Bother?

Go down

Rules! Why Bother?

Post by RaySinKa on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:29 am

I have to admit that I've been lured back to watch a few of the "Classic" circuit races recently but stay disallusioned with F1.

I thought I'd heard that the drivers were no longer allowed to receive 'support' messages from the team by radio but it seems that some do probably under the guise of safety messages.  What is the purpose of the rule if it is ignored?

Track limitations.  At Spa every man and his dog but especially Vettel were exceeding track limits and cutting the corner at the top of the hill.  Lap after lap driving over the kerbs at high speed can't be good for the suspension and tyres.  Was anyone cautioned or punished?  If you have a rule enforce it everytime not just at designated corners.

Tyres.  Lots of drivers were concerned and vocally outspoken after the tyre failures.  The FAI and Pirelli introduce a tyre pressure rule, maybe it wasn't well thought out as to when the minimum pressure was to be tested but it was there for safety, so at all times seems logical.  At the very next race, Monza, Mercedes are found to be running at a lower than minimum pressure.  So after a long Stewards meeting, what happens?  Nothing!  Surely a fine on the team should have been the minimum outcome?

Gone over to Moto GP!

Where they race in the rain.
Ride flat out.
Overtake using speed and skill.

Bye, Bye.

Ray
RaySinKa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rules! Why Bother?

Post by Zag on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:00 am

Rules are made to be broken...

I didn't hear any radio transmissions that would have helped a driver to improve their position in the race.

The same was true yesterday regarding track limits, but I cannot see Vettel or Ferrari getting a penalty any time soon..

Pirelli over reacted following certain drivers complaints after the last race and it surely isn't fair to only test the first four
on the grid and with a hand held gauge..
Lewis's car was less than a sneeze under the limit and it wouldn't have been done for any performance advantage whatsoever..

Much as I like MotoGP there will be as many (unpenalized) rule breakers as in F1..

cat
Zag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:07 pm

But they penalised 2 drivers in GP2 for the same problem. I bet if Rosberg retired and Hamilton finished off the podium they wouldn't have hesitated to disqualify him. The rules are not properly policed and therefore penalties are irrelevant.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:22 am

Looking at the conclusions from the Mercedes investigation, they didn't do anything wrong there. Disqualifying Hamilton wouldn't have made any sense to me.

Are they even using tyre blankets in GP2?
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:05 am

RaySinKa wrote:I thought I'd heard that the drivers were no longer allowed to receive 'support' messages from the team by radio but it seems that some do probably under the guise of safety messages.  What is the purpose of the rule if it is ignored?

The rules regarding team radio are still a work in progress and will be further clarified for the 2016 season:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120372
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by F1 forever on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Full background wrt. tyre checks

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/italian-gp-f1-s-tyre-controversy-know-the-whole-story

All things considered, the Stewards clearly made the right choice.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum