Renault buying Lotus.

Go down

Renault buying Lotus.

Post by 00521 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:59 pm

What is the possibility that Renault deliberately put the brakes on Red Bull's engines...  without giving away advanced  engine performance secrets, while picking up Red Bulls chassis and aero design secrets, in order to allow themselves a successful return as a full constructor, in their own right???  (That would certainly explain a few things).

Certainly, a performance drink does not really sell Renaults, but an F-1 team with their name... is a good investment in 2015... as their German rivals Mercedes have found out.

F-1 chess is always so... 'Very, very intriguing'.   ;-)

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Renault-to-announce-Lotus-buyout-in-Abu-Dhabi-report,97352.html

Cordial Best,

Last edited by 00521 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Renault buying Lotus.

Post by F1 forever on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Considering that everyone except Mercedes has been struggling with the new engines, I kinda doubt Renault has figured it all out now, just waiting to get rid of Red Bull.

I'd be very surprised if they can come up with a competitive engine for next season. Wouldn't be surprised to see even Honda ahead of them.

I think the main reason Renault is buying Lotus is because they've realized they can only lose with Red Bull, even when that team is winning races. So buying a team that is solid yet should be very cheap by F1 standards based upon its precarious financial situation looks like a sound business move. They'll remain in F1, and there'll be no more badmouthing of their name.

At some point, they're going to figure out the engine side. How many years that's going to take is anyone's guess. Red Bull seems set to continue to receive Renault engines in the future - but will invest in improving those further with the help of external technology providers. At least they don't seem to think that Renault is close to any sort of performance breakthrough.
F1 forever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 00521 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:48 pm

Agreed,

I agree 100%.  No Question.

It will take Renault some years, between chassis design, engine / power plant design / actual F-1 team creation and middle upper corporate management.

However, in the mean time, they seem to have learned enough from RB to try a 'logical' reentry into F-1.

As we remember, manufacturers Alfa Romeo, Lamborghini, Toyota and Jaguar, (not to mention indies Jordan, Prost and Stewart) were all 'semi-spectacular' in their massive failures in the past 25 years... (LOL).

The one advantage Renault has over those teams above, is that until this past year, Renault provided excellent engines for a leading team.

I am not sure that Renault can return to their late 70s team success and glory. Certainly, whether they shall be successful or not, certainly only time will tell.

Cordial Best,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarnooo on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:50 am

Renault have succeeded in every era they participated in. I have no doubt they can win in the new turbo era too.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 00521 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:36 pm

Jarnooo wrote:Renault have succeeded in every era they participated in. I have no doubt they can win in the new turbo era too.

Yes, No doubt about it.

How long that will take is the only question.

It took Mercedes several years (even with Schumi), but then Mercedes really had not been in F-1 since the 50s. Renault, on the other hand, by being a CURRENT major engine supplier really has an advantage that Mercedes did not have initially.

Therefore, IMHO, if Renault can get a good chassis aero designer, they are 'off to the races', and should be fairly competitive, at least midfield early on.

Nothing like what poor McLaren is now gong through with Honda, who frankly were away from F-1 for far too long and then were additionally hampered by the arcane 2015 restrictions on re-designing engines after the season starts.

Cordial Best,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathieu on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi there,

I have no doubt about the Renault capacity's to come back on the top.

It is not a question of competence abilities but money problem's.

If Carlos Gohsn gives enought money to the future RF1 Team for the developpement of the engine, i don't see barriers for winning.

Anyway, this will require 4 or 5 years. Time to restructure the team, and the engine upgraded, to have an office of high-performance technical studies that will bring innovative concepts and give an advance to Enstone against other teams.

Sorry for my text understanding. I'm a french guy who tries to write in you're language.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 00521 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:17 am

Mathieu wrote:Hi there,

I have no doubt about the Renault capacity's to come back on the top.

It is not a question of competence abilities but money problem's.

If Carlos Gohsn gives enought money to the future RF1 Team for the developpement of the engine, i don't see barriers for winning.

Anyway, this will require 4 or 5 years. Time to restructure the team, and the engine upgraded, to have an office of high-performance technical studies that will bring innovative concepts and give an advance to Enstone against other teams.

Sorry for my text understanding. I'm a french guy who tries to write in you're language.

Hi Mathieu!

Welcome!

Yes, no question, you are absolutely right, IMHO.

In fact, wouldn't it be interesting to see Fernando Alonso possibly return to Renault once they have created a viable team and pulled themselves back into the upper echelon of F-1?

Certainly, the Renault engines would be far better than the McLaren Honda GP2 motors.  Laughing

Cordial Best,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathieu on Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:45 am

Last edited by Mathieu on Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathieu on Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:46 am

Hi 00521

Thanks for your welcome Very Happy

Renault is already faster than the 'engine' GP2, I hope that it will remain in 2016 Wink

Fernando Alonso, I would like to say "why not".
Competitiveness of the McLaren Honda will be weight many emotional decision, but it is a possibility.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum