2016 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix!!

Page 5 sur 5 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Re: 2016 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix!!

Message par F1 forever le Jeu Mar 24, 2016 8:45 pm

Zag, completely agree! And saying the qualifying shows their true pace is nonsense. They can drive like that for one lap, but not for an entire race. And again, last season they had a 1.4 secs lead over Ferrari in Melbourne, so it's clearly track-specific, also.

Dernière édition par F1 forever le Jeu Mar 24, 2016 8:58 pm, édité 1 fois
F1 forever

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message par F1 forever le Jeu Mar 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Hey, the elimination qualy will stay for Bahrain! And my preferred choice - only reverting to the old format for Q3 - is also still on the table in case Q3 flops again.

That's good news from my perspective, even though it's kinda dumb to try Q3 elimination-style again. That can't really work, and in fact when I first read the new rules, I immediately stumbled over the idea that there'd be only 8 cars in Q3, and then still eliminating those few cars can only detract from the spectacle. Who wants to see two Mercedes going at it with everyone else in the pits? I think it's predictable that Q3 will flop again, but Q1 and Q2 could be pretty interesting, now that the teams know how to approach things correctly.
F1 forever

Message par F1 forever le Jeu Mar 24, 2016 9:14 pm

Niki is commenting on the relative performance:

But when asked if Mercedes was really worried about being beaten by Ferrari in Australia, F1 legend and team chairman Lauda insisted: "I was very worried.

"We almost lost to them, did you not see it?" he is quoted by the Italian newspaper La Repubblica.

The reporter agreed that the gap between the two top teams in Melbourne appeared to be small.

"Ferrari threatened to win the race, there is no ’but’ about it," Lauda charged.

As for claims Mercedes is exaggerating the closeness of the gap for the sake of the show, he answered: "Rubbish. The truth is that there was no gap at all between the two cars. It was only the red flag that saved our life otherwise they would have won."

Say what you want about Niki, but for the most part, he's a no-nonsense guy (unlike Wolff, who is much more political in his "views").
F1 forever

Message par Panda le Ven Mar 25, 2016 2:17 am

IMO this qualy format in a circuit with an average lap of 1.5 min or above would fail. There is just not enough time for a driver to do two decent flying laps in 7 minutes for Q1 (6 min for Q2 and 5 min for Q3). We wouldn't be talking about this if it would have been Malaysia instead of Bahrain

Message par F1 forever le Ven Mar 25, 2016 2:56 am

Panda a écrit:IMO this qualy format in a circuit with an average lap of 1.5 min or above would fail. There is just not enough time for a driver to do two decent flying laps in 7 minutes for Q1 (6 min for Q2 and 5 min for Q3). We wouldn't be talking about this if it would have been Malaysia instead of Bahrain

But that's the whole point! The way I understand it, the new format is supposed to get everyone on the track early (instead of one or two Manors running on their own) to give the fans a show from the get go and put pressure on the teams to get it right first crack out of the box. And if you don't, you get eliminated.

They want to make the starting grid less predictable. Best case, for example Nico Rosberg makes a big mistake on his first flying lap, and that's it for him, he starts at the back of the grid and needs to make his way all the way through.

With the old format, people like me didn't really care about Q1 and Q2 anymore, because you know which cars are fastest, and when you give them 2 or 3 attempts to get it right, the starting grid is pretty much going to be the same most races. Mistakes don't really matter (unless you crash your car). But with more pressure and less margin for error (and more traffic), there'll be more surprise elements that will make the earlier parts of qualifying more exciting to watch. In theory. As long as the teams know what they're doing.

For Q3 though, it doesn't really work since there's too few cars left to make it interesting. Having (at one point) just two cars (often from the same team) competing for 1 and 2 is hardly interesting to watch.
F1 forever

Page 5 sur 5 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5