Which Game Console do you prefer and why?

Page 1 sur 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Suivant

Which Game Console do you prefer and why? Empty Which Game Console do you prefer and why?

Message par arizal_adl le Ven Fév 19, 2010 4:11 am

They are 3 big players, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft.

Which one do you have, and why you choose that instead of other?
I am currently on PS2, and will want to move to a newer console. I am thinking of PS3, but would like to hear what others thing about Wii and XBOX..
arizal_adl
arizal_adl

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Which Game Console do you prefer and why? Empty Re: Which Game Console do you prefer and why?

Message par Rus-Evo le Ven Fév 19, 2010 4:23 am

I prefer a PC.

Wii 2nd

PS3 3rd.

Why would I want an Xbox360?

I just like the "do everything" nature of a pc, and the power and the possibility of improving such power. What I would spend on new hardware (ie a console) I could spend that on games instead. I cant support running 2 sets of gaming hardware if I want to have software.
Rus-Evo
Rus-Evo

Which Game Console do you prefer and why? Empty Re: Which Game Console do you prefer and why?

Message par Dave le Ven Fév 19, 2010 4:43 am

I too just have a PC. I have considered a console but the PC still rules for strategy games so I will stick with it for the foreseeable future.
Dave
Dave

Message par arizal_adl le Ven Fév 19, 2010 8:28 am

looks like i should have put the 4th option.. Smile

thanks for the thought guys
arizal_adl
arizal_adl

Message par WebHead le Ven Fév 19, 2010 8:47 am

This a very personal question. I would like all of them to be honest.

0. PC
It doesn't count really, because you asked about 'consoles'. But PC is important because it heavily influences my preference for consoles. I always make sure I have a serviceable PC that can run most games, though usually not on full graphics. This way, I cover most of my bases in terms of being able to play games.

1. PS3
As a package, the PS3 is brilliant. It is reliable, gets frequent updates, has the blu-ray, looks good, runs very quiet. It feels solid. This console also has a large number of 'true' exclusives, not available anywhere else. Although the price tag is higher, you also get a lot more bang for your buck, and a lot more potential.

On the downside, cross platform games are usually weaker on the PS3. The overall library is a bit smaller than other consoles, and the online features are serviceable but nowhere near that of the XBOX360.

I don't play many online games, and I have a PC capable of playing the games that PS3 misses out on. So this console is ideal for me. I grew up with a PSOne, so my taste in games is well matched to PS3. I would be grumpy for example if I missed out Metal Gear Solid, or the upcoming Yakuza 3.

2. Wii
Wii has some simply dreadful third party games. They really are embarrassing. 90% of their library is pathetic. But first party Nintendo games are, to be frank, the absolute best in the business. And sadly, the only place you can get them is on Nintendo console. Sometimes I wish for the same fate to Nintendo that Sega suffered, if only so that we might be able to play Nintendo games on other consoles, much like current-gen Sega titles.

Nintendo also cater for the lost art of local party games. Once upon a time kids would get their mates over and play some awesome split-screen multiplayer games, such as classic Goldeneye. The other consoles, influenced by Xbox-Live, have gone with online-multiplayer. So the modern gaming geek just got geekier, being forced to play their mates from the comfort of their own house, speaking through dodgy headsets that make anyone sound like a little girl (or Stephen Hawking). Thumbs up to Nintendo here.

3. Xbox360
Easily the best console for online multiplayer. If that is your scene, you need one of these things. Microsoft have also done a wonderful job with their third party support and API documentation, making 360 very easy and accessible for programmers. So cross-platform games are almost always better optimised for 360, running better. It is also economically a better value package for developers, who can easily make a game compatible with both 360 and PC, instantly doubling the number of markets they can enter. 360 therefore benefits by having the largest library of games in town.

But that last point is also a doozy, because it means 90+% of Xbox360 games are also available on PC. When someone tries to look at the 'true' exclusives, they discover that the list is pretty small. Even Microsoft's flagship product, Halo, makes its appearance on PC. I have PC versions of Gears of War, Mass Effect, and eventually the upcoming Alan Wake (which looks impressive). I can imagine that if somebody didn't have a good PC, that 360 would be by far the greatest console.

I'd also have a problem with the reliability of the 360. Microsoft has sealed up the market, largely by releasing an under-tested product into the market. It's online service, though impressive, costs money (unlike PSN). It's Microsoft points currency works against users, requiring fixed purchases of currency at several amounts, that are pretty inflexible and not suited to smaller purchases. Microsoft said this was to prevent micro-transactions from costing them lots of money. So instead, they cost their users money.

It's also a con, because Microsoft adjusts the cost of their 'points' across the different currencies. But this amount is fixed and doesn't reflect the fluctuating exchange rates. So with the Aussie dollar at 90cents to the US dollar, why are Australians paying three quarters more to buy the same product? At least the Sony store is in real dollars.

Anyway, as usual, I have written way more than I was planning. As if I have all the time in the world. Laughing

Message par Rus-Evo le Ven Fév 19, 2010 8:55 am

One console advantage is being able to play on the couch in comfort.
Rus-Evo
Rus-Evo

Message par MONSTAR le Ven Fév 19, 2010 9:19 am

PS3. cant beat it

Message par arizal_adl le Ven Fév 19, 2010 9:45 am

yea.. am leaning towards PS3.. since I am on PS2.. so the upgrade wont be so much in term of my gaming behavior.. and its seems more natural..

just want to know people who are on other console..

@webhead.. that is truly a good explanation, not too long, and not too short, but very comprehensive.. thanks
arizal_adl
arizal_adl

Message par lightmas le Ven Fév 19, 2010 12:26 pm

PS3 mrgreen

why not set up a pole?
lightmas
lightmas

Message par Schumacat le Ven Fév 19, 2010 12:37 pm

I think if you have the money, the PS3 is without doubt the best console out there. If you are looking for something cheaper , then the Xbox 360.
As for me, i put Sony on the same pedestal as Apple, meaning i would never buy them if i can avoid them Laughing .

Message par WebHead le Ven Fév 19, 2010 2:38 pm

Apple I can understand Schumacat. Not sure what Sony did wrong? Laughing

Message par Schumacat le Ven Fév 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Sony put proprietary stuff on their devices locking them to outside vendors. While other devices contain standard ports like SD or Micro SD, Sony invents some new stuff that has no advantage whatsoever, other than making people buy Sony cards. So if i buy a Sony camera ( which i did, by the way Embarassed ), you cannot use your SD or micro SD card with it. You have to spend some more money to get a Pro duo something card. And then, that card slot cannot be normally found on other laptops(luckily, my HP laptop did have it, but i havent found it on a Dell or Lenovo so far) , so you have to buy a Sony laptop for that. It's a vicious cycle Very Happy.
Besides, Sony is famous for putting rootkits and DRM stuff into their products.
Also, Sony deliberately price their products more than competing companies although they contain less features than the others, similar to what Apple does Very Happy .

Message par arizal_adl le Sam Fév 20, 2010 3:46 am

sound like love and hate situation schumacat... so i guess PS3 must be really good then
arizal_adl
arizal_adl

Message par WebHead le Sam Fév 20, 2010 4:35 am

It sounds like you are just talking about their VAIO laptops then? Yeh, I agree they are too expensive. But I'd buy one any day before you caught me using an apple.

I have a sony erricson phone (which I hate, the speaker is lousy), but it uses a standard micro-sd memory card. So I've had no issues in that arena.

And obviously the PS3 is wonderful. They even give you instructions on how to change the hard drive, you can choose whatever laptop drive you like (as long as it fits, which is most of them) and it doesn't void warranty.

And what you are talking about has been done for years by every vendor. Universal laptop power plug, anyone? Laughing

Message par Rus-Evo le Sam Fév 20, 2010 10:47 am

I want to run over my Sony Erricson with my car.
Rus-Evo
Rus-Evo

Message par MONSTAR le Sam Fév 20, 2010 1:27 pm

If you buy a PS3 or XBOX you will have to buy a HD flat screen TV to get the best out of them. Thats if you dont already have 1.

You cant go past a panasonic viera

Message par Rus-Evo le Sam Fév 20, 2010 9:18 pm

Especially free ones eh Monstar?
Rus-Evo
Rus-Evo

Message par MONSTAR le Dim Fév 21, 2010 7:01 am

I dont think i like your tone Rusty!! Laughing

Message par Rus-Evo le Dim Fév 21, 2010 10:34 am

Hey you told me yours was free!!!
Rus-Evo
Rus-Evo

Message par MONSTAR le Dim Fév 21, 2010 11:15 am

Yes i did. do you have a problem with that? Laughing

Message par Rus-Evo le Dim Fév 21, 2010 12:00 pm

I just want one too Twisted Evil
Rus-Evo
Rus-Evo

Message par Schumacat le Lun Fév 22, 2010 7:11 am

WebHead a écrit:It sounds like you are just talking about their VAIO laptops then? Yeh, I agree they are too expensive. But I'd buy one any day before you caught me using an apple.

I have a sony erricson phone (which I hate, the speaker is lousy), but it uses a standard micro-sd memory card. So I've had no issues in that arena.

And obviously the PS3 is wonderful. They even give you instructions on how to change the hard drive, you can choose whatever laptop drive you like (as long as it fits, which is most of them) and it doesn't void warranty.

And what you are talking about has been done for years by every vendor. Universal laptop power plug, anyone? Laughing

I'm not talking about just the Vaio laptop , but every sony product. Ofcourse Vaio is one of them. They cost much more than every other laptop in the market and have lesser specs than competition, only for the privelege of being a Sony.
Sony cameras have something called Pro Duo or something, instead of the standard SD cards in other cameras. PSP has another proprietary format called UMD. Even the Blu Ray is much costlier than Toshiba's HD DVD technology, which was muscled out by Sony's money power, inspite of the HD DVD being a complete spec( and in some ways superior) whereas the Blu Ray wasn't even complete yet.
Try buying a Sony Mp3 player. They cost the highest in the market with no support for other formats and also very little memory. But people still buy them coz its a Sony( Similar to Apple, but on a smaller scale i guess Laughing ).
Sony LCDs cost much higher than other brands, inspite of offering nothing more than a Samsung or other companies.
And not to forget, the rootkit fiasco :
Sony Copy Protection Scandal

However, all said, I think the PS3 is definitely the best console today and I would definitely buy it if i had the money Laughing . I just don't like Sony as a company anymore Embarassed .

Message par MONSTAR le Lun Fév 22, 2010 7:25 am

Rus-Evo a écrit:I just want one too Twisted Evil

When i become rich ill buy you 1 Wink mrgreen

Message par Rus-Evo le Lun Fév 22, 2010 7:32 am

Ill hold you to that!!! So thanks!!
Rus-Evo
Rus-Evo

Message par MONSTAR le Lun Fév 22, 2010 7:50 am

LOL I would buy it for you.
But dont hold your breath.

If a became stinking rich id invite my top 10 forum member's to a race on board my yacht in Monaco mrgreen Laughing

Page 1 sur 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Suivant